Here at Soul Seed Academy, we are just wrapping up our first Brand Expression Project Cohort. The process has been mind-blowing. It has been life changing to watch these women transform as they get really clear on who they are, what they do, who they serve, and how to express all of this. Each woman has created a beautiful, unique brand that is true to them AND true to the clients they serve.
It is interesting to look at the branding information that is available on the internet. There is some wonderful information that really helps feed the process of bringing out the individual brand, and there is information…that doesn’t. To be honest, all together, it feels very confusing and overwhelming when you search it on Pinterest or Google.
If you are new to branding or know yours needs to be cleaned up,
I want to share with you a few key principles that can help you get started:
- Discover your personal purpose. We hear people talk about ‘finding your why’. It is hard for trainings on this topic to go past the superficial. When I first became an entrepreneur, I went to so many trainings on this, and they all taught variations of the same thing. It was pretty superficial, and I was frustrated because it didn’t seem clear or helpful at all. I didn’t realize that what I really needed was to go deeper. It is not about my why for a particular business (which was always the focus) that I needed to understand, but my purpose for living, for being on this earth…why I do anything at all. What brings you joy and fulfillment? What speaks to your very core? What life experiences brought you there?
- Know the story you tell. There are story elements that have been around as long as we humans have been in existence. These aren’t just nice stories we tell to entertain ourselves. What is it about a story that draws us, that helps us put order in our lives? What is your element, and what element represents your business? Are they the same, or are they different?
- You can’t serve everyone. I know, this can really be an irritating statement! But it is true. Steve Jobs said, “If you want to make everyone happy, don’t be a leader. Sell ice cream.” Even he didn’t quite get it right…after all, even if ice cream is what you sell, it is impossible to please everyone (I know this because I am THAT person that struggles to find the right ice cream!). Yet for some reason, ESPECIALLY as passion-based entrepreneurs it is easy to find ourselves trying to serve everyone. If you find yourself falling into this trap, STOP IT! Find who you are supposed to serve and speak to them. Learn everything you can about your ideal clients, and it will make a huge difference as you interact with them.
- Branding isn’t just about logos, colors and fonts. Branding is a foundation that you build your business upon. It helps you remain clear on your messaging, making it so much simpler to pick and design your colors, fonts, logo etc. It is the driving force behind every decision, every post, every choice you make in your business.
- Once you have the branding foundation down, picking out the creative elements of your brand is like being the proverbial kid in a candy store. It is so exciting and fulfilling to see what you are able to create.
- It really does help to have a community of like-minded sisters. It is so true that it is easier to see everyone else’s stuff than your own. To have a group of sisters who really have come to know you as you go through the process of self and business discovery makes it so much easier when you get stuck.
Discovering and defining your brand is a powerful journey of coming into your own power. Whether you are new to being an entrepreneur or you have an established business and are working on growing or scaling, now is the perfect time to really examine what it is you are about and the messages you are consciously and subconsciously putting out.
If this post resonated with you and you are even a little intrigued, you would love our 2-day business breakthrough retreat for women entrepreneurs. Not only do you have an opportunity to come explore, go really deep, and gain valuable insight, but you also join our amazing community of passion-based women. Come join with us!